Serves: 4 big portions
Time: 30 minutes
1 medium white onion
2 garlic cloves
1 medium sized carrot julienned
1 large can evaporated milk
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
750ml good vegetable or chicken stock
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
200g cheddar cheese, grated
Salt to taste
- Put your Instant Pot on sauté mode and add your oil, onions and garlic and cook until translucent. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, a pot on the stove will work too.
- Add your cauliflower and stock, pop the lid on and set to pressure cook manually for 10 minutes and then quick release. For the stove, bring the whole lot to the boil and cover, simmer for around 15 minutes until the cauliflower cooked through
- Blend the lot with a stick blender until smooth, then add your evaporated milk, broccoli, carrots and spices, pop the lid back on and pressure cook for another 2 minutes and then allow the Instant Pot to come to a natural release for 3/4 minutes so that the ingredients can settle before releasing the pressure. Using the stove, bring the whole lot up to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes until the broccoli is cooked through
- Add your grated cheese and mix through the soup until melted.
- Serve with crusty bread rolls for dipping
P.S. If you want a richer, more creamy consistency, add half a tablespoon of butter which has been mixed through with half a tablespoon of flour into the hot soup and simmer for an extra few minutes until silky.