Servings: 250g masala will make a curry for 3-4 people, this recipe will make around 6 portions of 250g
Time: 2 hours
500g chopped white and red onions
2 tins Chopped tomatoes
140g tomato purée
85g ground cumin and coriander mixed (or 42g of each)
10g ground turmeric
3 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick (2/3inch)
1 star anise
20g grated fresh ginger
25g crushed fresh garlic
15g finely chopped green chilli
Salt to taste
1 tin full of water (use one of the tomato tins)
- Add all the ingredients into the Instant Pot and give them all a good mix around
- Place the lid on the pot, set the pressure release handle to ‘sealing’ and then press manual, adjust to high pressure and 20 minutes.
- Once it’s done, release the pressure and it’s pretty much ready to use if you like your dishes quite saucy. If not, you can do what I did and either hit saute until it reduces down to your liking OR set it to slow cook for 1 hour with the lid off – this is the way I prefer as I feel like it really brings all the flavours together, and it means I don’t have to stand around stirring!
- I usually freeze this up into 250g freezer packs, you can easily make a curry for 4 with each pack 🙂
- Once it’s done it can be used it an abundance of recipes to create loads of varieties of meals.. More to come on those soon..
So far with this base, I’ve got the below recipes: